Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellcat down

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Yeah, if he could stop breaking things!!!

Hey! BG! Now that you have 1,000,000 HP, maybe you need to lighten up on the pedal a bit! :ROFLMAO:
He's never not going to, I don't think it's in him! I broke that shaft on My 2010 Challenger with an AL 440, topped with a KB 3.6, built Nag 1 Trans. I was launching at the Dragstrip! When that shaft broke, same thing, lousy feeling under my feet. :( I also broke a Half shaft. A lot of feed back went to DSS. Frank gave us an extra set on the shelf just for me. My husband loved being part of R&D........ I just know the Nag1 was the biggest limit, no tuning for it back then, it really took away all the Fassst Fun. TH400 FTW:cool: Thankfully Dodge put in the A8 Trans in the Hellcat!

The Hellcats really came off the Assembly line built so much stronger than the 6.1s.

These days there is so much knowledge on Combo packages built for strength and safety for Higher HP, there are lots of parts and vendors. :D
Prior 6.1 cars, if you wanted more HP, it was Race and Break, then wait for parts. :(

By 2014 when the 6.1's finally got into the 8's, the Hellcats were coming out. The SRT guys learned a lot of knowledge from many of the MSHS racers, shops and vendors and others around the Country.

Dodge sure left a lot of room for modding, and then look at what they did with the next level of knowledge. The Redeye, Demon.......etc

I think we own some Pretty Amazing Vehicles.

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Hellcat Charger Redeye Widebody
Thread Starter #322
At this point, the trans was the only major part left for me to break. My hope is once we fortify this and make it 100% right, I should be good to go for a long while. Save for an axle or something which would immediately be swapped out for DSS, there’s really nothing else left to break.

I’ll never lift in this thing :cool:

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
At this point, the trans was the only major part left for me to break. My hope is once we fortify this and make it 100% right, I should be good to go for a long while. Save for an axle or something which would immediately be swapped out for DSS, there’s really nothing else left to break.

I’ll never lift in this thing :cool:
I see you are going to have a nice strong trans rebuild.
Hopefully your Redeye axles will stay strong. Many have good luck with the OEM's!

And I know you will never lift;)
~ Linda

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Maybe a good time to add that driveshaft loop... :)

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I think I’m finally going to add one

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
I think I’m finally going to add one
Sounds like a good idea. I have never witnessed it, but I imagine a $70-120k HC doing a pole vault would not be a good thing.

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
He's never not going to, I don't think it's in him! I broke that shaft on My 2010 Challenger with an AL 440, topped with a KB 3.6, built Nag 1 Trans. I was launching at the Dragstrip! When that shaft broke, same thing, lousy feeling under my feet. :( I also broke a Half shaft. A lot of feed back went to DSS. Frank gave us an extra set on the shelf just for me. My husband loved being part of R&D........ I just know the Nag1 was the biggest limit, no tuning for it back then, it really took away all the Fassst Fun. TH400 FTW:cool: Thankfully Dodge put in the A8 Trans in the Hellcat!

The Hellcats really came off the Assembly line built so much stronger than the 6.1s.

These days there is so much knowledge on Combo packages built for strength and safety for Higher HP, there are lots of parts and vendors. :D
Prior 6.1 cars, if you wanted more HP, it was Race and Break, then wait for parts. :(

By 2014 when the 6.1's finally got into the 8's, the Hellcats were coming out. The SRT guys learned a lot of knowledge from many of the MSHS racers, shops and vendors and others around the Country.

Dodge sure left a lot of room for modding, and then look at what they did with the next level of knowledge. The Redeye, Demon.......etc

I think we own some Pretty Amazing Vehicles.
I have been around modded cars since the '60's. I had no money back then, I couldn't afford my neighbor's '67 Mustang Fastback 289 4sp for $700, or all the '69 Z28's available for $900-$1100.

I fully understood the commitment of serious mods, and being a sensible nerd, never went down that path. (I have always admitted that I'm cheap!) Now that I'm old, and you guys and Dodge figured out how to build a 700+hp car with a 5 year warranty, I'M IN!!!

After the emission restrictions in the early ‘70’s, no one in their right mind could ever imagine what was to come! I have said this many times, please forgive the repetition, but we have been extremely fortunate to live in this era and capitalize on, not only the resurgence of the muscle car, but the advancement beyond what any reasonable person could have imagined!

Any true muscle car enthusiast would own at least one by now, it is inconceivable that we will see anything like this again. The future of speed looks boring. Kinda’ like the veggie burgers of the future will be better than steak….

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #328
Ya, might as well add it to the list :unsure:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
When was the last time everyone was under their car? A broken driveshaft isn't going to pole vault anyone. What it will do is not tear up the bottom of the car

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
You’d think the demon would have one. Probably because it has to rip through the exhaust first before hitting the ground
Sounds like a good idea. I have never witnessed it, but I imagine a $70-120k HC doing a pole vault would not be a good thing.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
You’d think the demon would have one. Probably because it has to rip through the exhaust first before hitting the ground
Thought the same thing

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #332
You've got the driveshaft tunnel brace too that should hold the driveshaft up I expect as well.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
If there's one that avoids body damage I'm all ears. Don't think I've seen one but been a minute since I looked.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
If there's one that avoids body damage I'm all ears. Don't think I've seen one but been a minute since I looked.
I think if your driveshaft breaks the body is getting damaged, loop or not

OP
Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #335
Is there any point in a loop then? Seems like an NHRA recommendation that makes no sense.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Is there any point in a loop then? Seems like an NHRA recommendation that makes no sense.
It makes sense for most cars where it would come straight down. On our cars it won't make it to the ground. The loop could help with doing less damage under the car depending on where it breaks.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
I really liked the one I had on my 2009. It was a M6 so different animal.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I run the S&M loop on mine. It fits. It's legal. It's fuggin TIGHT to the body in a couple spots.

It literally exists only to satisfy the rule for driveshaft loop and specifically if you've swapped to an aftermarket one with ujoints anywhere It's pretty much mandatory.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I have been around modded cars since the '60's. I had no money back then, I couldn't afford my neighbor's '67 Mustang Fastback 289 4sp for $700, or all the '69 Z28's available for $900-$1100.

I fully understood the commitment of serious mods, and being a sensible nerd, never went down that path. (I have always admitted that I'm cheap!) Now that I'm old, and you guys and Dodge figured out how to build a 700+hp car with a 5 year warranty, I'M IN!!!

After the emission restrictions in the early ‘70’s, no one in their right mind could ever imagine what was to come! I have said this many times, please forgive the repetition, but we have been extremely fortunate to live in this era and capitalize on, not only the resurgence of the muscle car, but the advancement beyond what any reasonable person could have imagined!

Any true muscle car enthusiast would own at least one by now, it is inconceivable that we will see anything like this again. The future of speed looks boring. Kinda’ like the veggie burgers of the future will be better than steak….
Well said...so ...are you still cheap:unsure::unsure:

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Well said...so ...are you still cheap:unsure::unsure:
I'll burn 2 gal of 93 to save $1.50! I consider it smart shopping!