Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Ron Silva Breaks Stock Tune Demon 170 Record.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
He sold a 1 of 1 Demon170 and probably purchased a 1 of 1 Demon170 (there were only 50 one seat Demo170 made and how many of them were GoMango?) and probably made good money on the spread. From my perspective it's a good move (if my assumptions are accurate). He knows how to drive the car and get the most out of it so does it matter what Demon170 it is (as long as it a one seat).
From a business stand point, I totally get it.

But I love that color and would be hard pressed to make that move. No logic in my comment other than I prefer blue.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
Dodge is coming out with a revised calibration for the D170. There is an issue with the engine derating when the supercharger gets overheated. So in hot weather making multiple passes the engine will derate. So, as it is now, the low MPH could be attributed to this going on. I have coached a couple of people that were clearly experiencing this.

I have never had this issue but I try and cool my motor down as much and as often as possible without using ice.

On the 500 mile issue. They give you the trans brake etc. at 500 miles. It clearly states for track use only. Simple, no? Plus when he was trying to get me to run that Lucid in the Hagerty Video, Tim Kuniskis wanted to make sure I wcould have the 500 miles before showing up to shoot the Video. He specifically asked me that.
Interesting on the calibration change. The only thing I've seen on mine is it starts to pull timing as IAT increases which lines up with how my Hellcat functioned. There's a table for that. The most I've seen on the 170 is 2° when IAT is above 150°. It didn't seem to slow my car down though. Like you I try not to hot lap the car unless I'm forced to in competition so maybe something else happens at higher IATs?

Here's the table. You can see the reference point is 212°F for IAT so the closer it gets to that number the closer the timing pull gets to the max in the table. IMO if you get to 212° you've done something wrong.

1724260153793.png

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Is it really iat or MAT though. Also, when you’re at 170 MAT you’re not really at 170 in the cylinders due to e85

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
If you look at the image I posted, it shows IAT is measured by MAT so technically both I guess lol.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
VICTORVILLE
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
MANGO D170
From a business stand point, I totally get it.

But I love that color and would be hard pressed to make that move. No logic in my comment other than I prefer blue.
I totally got that.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
VICTORVILLE
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
MANGO D170
If you look at the image I posted, it shows IAT is measured by MAT so technically both I guess lol.
She said they are finished with the calibration and that they put 1000 passes on one engine in a development D170 to get there. They are now using a second engine to run that calibration to verify. They needed hot weather to do this because the engine run on the Dyno they could not duplicate what happens in a test vehicle.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
Wow 1000 passes. Interesting. I'll be anxious to get a copy of that new CAL to compare to original.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
VICTORVILLE
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
MANGO D170

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
VICTORVILLE
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
MANGO D170
Wow 1000 passes. Interesting. I'll be anxious to get a copy of that new CAL to compare to original.
I finally experienced this yesterday. There were a couple hold-ups and I was right at the front and I let the car idle and it was HOT. Blower had to be really really hot. It can be very alarming. I seriously thought something was wrong with the car. Cooled it down and right back to normal. I am glad they are fixing it.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
TBD
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Sufficient for most applications
Nice pass, in negative DA Go Mango 170 may take the stock tune record, however, Octane Red is the quickest color

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
I finally experienced this yesterday. There were a couple hold-ups and I was right at the front and I let the car idle and it was HOT. Blower had to be really really hot. It can be very alarming. I seriously thought something was wrong with the car. Cooled it down and right back to normal. I am glad they are fixing it.
Were you using the chiller? I've been playing with it and it gets temps cooler than I expected.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
TBD
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Were you using the chiller? I've been playing with it and it gets temps cooler than I expected.
Doesn't it automatically go on when Drag mode is selected?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
Mine does. I "think" you can manually turn it off though. I'll check when I'm out riding around later today.

Last edited:

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
VICTORVILLE
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
MANGO D170
Nice pass, in negative DA Go Mango 170 may take the stock tune record, however, Octane Red is the quickest color
I am pretty sure this is the fastest of the three. If it was'nt my head would be all messed up...............Now, the first two were special that had my name on them. And this one was a dealer stock order. Kind of goes against my theory that they culled out the best motors for certain builds..........

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
TBD
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I am pretty sure this is the fastest of the three. If it was'nt my head would be all messed up...............Now, the first two were special that had my name on them. And this one was a dealer stock order. Kind of goes against my theory that they culled out the best motors for certain builds..........
Ron,

Keep rocking it, I am taking your advice regarding preventative measures, hope to get mine to the strip soon. Do you think you can get Go Mango into the 8.7s with the right conditions?

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
VICTORVILLE
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
MANGO D170
Ron,

Keep rocking it, I am taking your advice regarding preventative measures, hope to get mine to the strip soon. Do you think you can get Go Mango into the 8.7s with the right conditions?
Yes I think it can be done.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
Confirmed you can disable the chiller in drag mode.

Mines been flawless and fast (knock on wood). I wondered if vip orders got extra handling.

Bowtie Guy

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
Confirmed you can disable the chiller in drag mode.

Mines been flawless and fast (knock on wood). I wondered if vip orders got extra handling.
I hope they built them all the same FFS

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
I hope they built them all the same FFS
Some had a "VIP" line item on the order. I'd assume Jay Leno, Goldberg, others and would think they got special handling. Wouldn't want them getting dirty cars, oil leaks, or blown engines, but who really knows. I've never been able to get a definitive answer on what it meant other than "special tracking".

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I would highly doubt there is any difference or engine "tweaking" done to some cars they deem going to "special" owners. Would love to be proven wrong on this though, would add to the legend of these cars! @DRAGRCR every car you get is faster than the one pervious, no?