Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Getting rid of redeye

OP
2pac

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Thread Starter #41
So your modified 4wd BMW is a little quicker than your stock redeye. I believe it, especially on the street, but I'm just curious why that makes you want your redeye less than what made you purchase it in the first place? Wont break my heart if you sell it, and a large back seat must not be a priority(which is why we get the Charger right, otherwise we all should have Challengers!), but a RWD big power/motor car is a special thing and you already have one, probably paid a good $ on it knowing you too, but if this helps roll you into that twin turbo V10 Lambo I know I can't hold that against you. I just see these Mopars as something cooler than the BMWs, but I am a little bit of a white redneck Joe Dirt lol
Hellcat is fun to drive, sliding the back end never gets old, the supercharger whine and v8 exhaust will never get old either.

what does get old is the negative attention the car attracts, carrying your gun in your waistband everytime the car goes out, worrying about someone trying to break in while ur inside somewhere, never really being able to take your eye off the car unless it's in your garage, thieves putting trackers on the car, etc etc

I shouldn't have to think like this lol, the g80 has none of these problems, hell most people just see a bmw with a crazy paint job.

As far as modding these cars go, biggest issue will always be traction, g80 and boosted huracan will not those issues on the level the hellcat has. Horsepower means nothing if it isn't able to get put down, spinnin ain't winning.

Garage space and no more space to keep this thing, I would love to keep it but unfortunately all 3 garages have cars occupying them lol, If I want another car someone is getting booted from the garage lol.

Hellcats are definitely cool, but M cars are a little cooler imo. The g80 is like if the viper and the charger redeye had a baby, aggressive in the corners and on the straights. The rear seats are actually quite decent sized, you can fit 4 full sized adults in either charger or the m3. The current generation m3 is as big as the previous generation m5. If the charger was awd it would probably be perfect tbh, feel like srt missed the mark on awd charger/challenger hellcats.

But yeah that's where I'm at.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
One thing I find interesting is that if I change wheels on a vehicle they have to be retorqued afterwards. If a dealer or tire store installs them it's not necessary.

Trailers are even worse. They want you to retorque those numerous times in the first 500 miles, then every time the trailer is used.

In either case, I don't. And haven't had any issues yet.
That recommendation is crazy...:rolleyes:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
No, checking the lug nuts is just part of my normal routine on new vehicles. Just like checking the fluid levels, installing magnetic plugs, etc.

But I also (finally) got around to install the Modern Spare setup in the "2.0" GT that she bought for the 1.0. Which I obviously removed before she sold that one.

OP
2pac

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Thread Starter #44
Different strokes for different folks.

I'm very happy right where I'm at, all those exotics are nice to look at, very nice in fact, but they aren't for me.

I was just at my brother's house in Utah, and his neighbor had a Ferrari that he's selling. When asked why, he said something to the affect of, "I wished for my childhood hero, then I met him and learned he's an asshole."

I've heard so many people say similar things, once they get in them, own them, they find out the truth, firsthand.

You make a couple thousand of something, you only learn so much, you make a few hundred-thousand, sometimes even a million, and you learn a lot more, and you can do continuous improvement. Say what you will about Dodge and the like, but they are generally reliable vehicles, and when they do break, they can be repaired for far less, usually right in my garage, by me.

Are they perfect? No, but they are the right balance of price, quality and performance, and I get to waive my fan-boi American flag too! ;)

:cool:
Well to be fair 1500whp was unfathomable 10-20 years ago, now ugr is pumping these cars out like crazy.

I mean a 7 second car that does 60-130 in the 2 second range and you can swap maps and dial it back down to 800whp and still take it out for dinner at a nice resturant? Feels like a win win to me.

The hellcat was my dream car for a while and I finally got one and then the redeye but I think this might be one of the flaws of attaining these things at a younger age, we get bored and want faster, better looking, etc etc

Ferrari makes some nice cars but I would almost consider the majority of their models gt style cars aside from the pista's and such.

Also consider how much charger/challengers get hassled by cops and compound age and it's easy to see how it can be very annoying and offputting. Thankfully I haven't been yet but I also hardly ever drive it lol.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
what does get old is the negative attention the car attracts, carrying your gun in your waistband everytime the car goes out, worrying about someone trying to break in while ur inside somewhere, never really being able to take your eye off the car unless it's in your garage, thieves putting trackers on the car, etc etc
See, that's partially why I like the GT AWD. I don't have to be nearly as worried about that one.

OP
2pac

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Thread Starter #46
Driving back from the dealer after inspections the wife commented about the two C8's on the Dodge dealer’s lot. I opined that Chev was trying to make cars in the Ferrari image. My guess is early adopters are finding out they are not as fast as they had hoped. I have seen C8’s at the dragway and Land Speed Trials and they severely disappoint. Maybe the ZO6 will do better.

I have to wonder if the C8 might become a maintenance nightmare approaching the Ferrari.

So far, I have not the slightest thought about selling my HC, and if I did, I have no idea what I would get as a replacement, other than a 3/4T truck. I’m in for the duration!
C8s are an interesting case of them making too money, the crowd they attract (older vetted fans), and a pretty decent price point.

Z06 is better performance but the engine is glass, look up the horror stories of motors going kaboom under 1k miles.

I call c8s a bootleg ferrari

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Also consider how much charger/challengers get hassled by cops and compound age and it's easy to see how it can be very annoying and offputting.
Now that you mention it, a cop I met briefly turned his blinky lights on today when we met.

Of course, I wasn't quite back in my lane after passing a slowpoke when he came around a curve, and I was doing maybe 50 over the limit.

That's okay, and something I can live with. Pretty sure I met the same one on the way back, but then I was going only about 35 over. So I waved and we both kept going.

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Hellcat is fun to drive, sliding the back end never gets old, the supercharger whine and v8 exhaust will never get old either.
Yep, this is exactly why I have one.

what does get old is the negative attention the car attracts, carrying your gun in your waistband everytime the car goes out, worrying about someone trying to break in while ur inside somewhere, never really being able to take your eye off the car unless it's in your garage,
Think you need to move. It's not like that everywhere.

OP
2pac

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Thread Starter #49
See, that's partially why I like the GT AWD. I don't have to be nearly as worried about that one.
Also living in the boonies 🤣🤣🤣, I can appreciate some isolation and tranquility lol.

OP
2pac

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Thread Starter #50
Yep, this is exactly why I have one.

Definitely a fun experience.

Think you need to move. It's not like that everywhere.
Unfortunately it's like that near every big metro area, suburbs of Philly, Boston, NY, Detroit, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Dallas, greater LA area, bay area, Seattle, Chicago, etc etc

These cars are just the hottest thing at the moment with every new rap song coming out dropping lyrics about hellcats lol.

Don't get me wrong it's really cool the car got this popular and everyone knows what it is, but it comes with some unwanted side effects.

OP
2pac

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Thread Starter #51
Now that you mention it, a cop I met briefly turned his blinky lights on today when we met.

Of course, I wasn't quite back in my lane after passing a slowpoke when he came around a curve, and I was doing maybe 50 over the limit.

That's okay, and something I can live with. Pretty sure I met the same one on the way back, but then I was going only about 35 over. So I waved and we both kept going.
Definitely some cool cops there, but with tinted windows, and a hellcat it's literally a "come pick on me" sign lol.

I guess the areas and time affect that as well, knock on wold I have been pretty good with cop encounters in the hellcat.

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Unfortunately it's like that near every big metro area, suburbs of Philly, Boston, NY, Detroit, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Dallas, greater LA area, bay area, Seattle, Chicago, etc etc

These cars are just the hottest thing at the moment with every new rap song coming out dropping lyrics about hellcats lol.

Don't get me wrong it's really cool the car got this popular and everyone knows what it is, but it comes with some unwanted side effects.
Yeah, agreed. I live in a suburb. Wouldn't take it to the city cause of the roads. Can't stand the city anyway.

But I would think whatever nice car you got would be the same. Someone gonna want it...

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Your car definitely stands out. Looks beautiful, love that color.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye

I shouldn't have to think like this lol, the g80 has none of these problems, hell most people just see a bmw with a crazy paint job.

As far as modding these cars go, biggest issue will always be traction, g80 and boosted huracan will not those issues on the level the hellcat has. Horsepower means nothing if it isn't able to get put down, spinnin ain't winning.

Garage space and no more space to keep this thing, I would love to keep it but unfortunately all 3 garages have cars occupying them lol, If I want another car someone is getting booted from the garage lol.

Hellcats are definitely cool, but M cars are a little cooler imo. The g80 is like if the viper and the charger redeye had a baby, aggressive in the corners and on the straights. The rear seats are actually quite decent sized, you can fit 4 full sized adults in either charger or the m3. The current generation m3 is as big as the previous generation m5. If the charger was awd it would probably be perfect tbh, feel like srt missed the mark on awd charger/challenger hellcats.

But yeah that's where I'm at.
I did not know the g80 cars had that much rear seat room, is yours a 4-door or 2-door? They make both right?

I think a lot of the negativity you associate with the car is mostly in your head, but I could also be a little niave to that. I live in an as-dangerous place as any, car is insured, what are you going to do? Now if my redeye gets stolen this weekend I will cry, literally lol

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I did not know the g80 cars had that much rear seat room, is yours a 4-door or 2-door? They make both right?

I think a lot of the negativity you associate with the car is mostly in your head, but I could also be a little niave to that. I live in an as-dangerous place as any, car is insured, what are you going to do? Now if my redeye gets stolen this weekend I will cry, literally lol

Insurance only works when two things are true:

First, you don't love your car

Second, you can actually replace your car

Of my four cars, 2006 Durango, 2016 M6 Hellcat, 2017 Power Wagon, 2019 DSRT, I love the HC and the DSRT, and the PW would be difficult to replace (aside from the fact that Insurance isn't likely to make me whole anyways)

Hell, even the 2006 Durango might be hard to replace.

: (

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I hear you on the fact that insurance wouldn't fully replace a car like this

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Definitely some cool cops there, but with tinted windows, and a hellcat it's literally a "come pick on me" sign lol.
I don't think everyone knows what it is. That can be good and bad, I suppose, since most people couldn't tell my GT from the 'Cat.

It's good if people think the 'Cat is an SXT or GT, but not so good if they think the GT is a 'Cat. Both are debadged, both are Granite. I'm guessing that within a 150 miles radius from here, to 95% of people they're simply Challengers.

Somewhat like that the TRX is just another Ram 1500 to them.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I hear you on the fact that insurance wouldn't fully replace a car like this
Exactly, mine has 12k pampered miles and I doubt I could even come close to replacing it with what ins. would pay out.

OP
2pac

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Thread Starter #59
I don't think everyone knows what it is. That can be good and bad, I suppose, since most people couldn't tell my GT from the 'Cat.

It's good if people think the 'Cat is an SXT or GT, but not so good if they think the GT is a 'Cat. Both are debadged, both are Granite. I'm guessing that within a 150 miles radius from here, to 95% of people they're simply Challengers.

Somewhat like that the TRX is just another Ram 1500 to them.
Not everyone but most people do because of its popularity on social media, music, movies, etc etc.

Trackhawk I think is the most inconspicuous of all the hellcats imo

OP
2pac

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Thread Starter #60

I live near Philly, in my own area I'm fine but anything near the city, going to Baltimore, DC, ny, etc etc is a no go. Basically can't take this car into any major cities, kinda defeats the purpose of a nice car imo.

They just carjacked a trx last night in one of the nicer suburbs in pa at a gas station. 2 dudes rolled up out of a ram with a Draco and an AR, crazy times.

G80 = m3
G82 = m4

Bmw split the m3 coupe/sedan into two different models, now the m3 is the sedan and the m4 is the coupe. Also the g80 (current generation) is significantly bigger than the f80 (previous gen). It still looks like a small car next to the charger but it's not corolla sized either 🤣🤣🤣

@DavidKFla drove a g80 last year and he loved it.

I would definitely tell you that you should at least experience the car, heck of a machine just like the hellcat.